Thursday, August 9, 2012

The Repeater

Good morning beautiful people!
Good morning beautiful people!

My thoughts for today are revolving around the things I want to talk about at G's occupational therapy today.  Hopefully, they can give me some tips on how to work on them at home. First is his repetitive speech. Besides the hitting, biting, screeching and crashing, this is the most frustrating. Let me put it into perspective for you...

(on a typical, unexciting car ride on our way to Walmart)
G: "where we going mommy?"
Me: "to Walmart."
(immediately after I answer)
G: "where we going mommy?"
Me: "to Walmart."

repeat this sequence the entire way to Walmart. I really wish I was exaggerating, but no. Whenever we get in the car, no matter where we go, it's the same thing. Some days aren't as bad, but on those days, he's inconsolable in the back seat...screaming, crying, banging his head, kicking L's car seat. I've started to hate the car.

The next thing I want to talk about is his sleeping patterns. He is still waking up in the night but that's not what bothers me. It's WHERE he sleeps. On the floor, pressed up against his door. This wouldn't bother me so much except that he used to (and sometimes still does) spit his juice out on the floor. The area in front of his door is saturated with juice and pee (because he is still refusing to go pee if he wakes up. (I'll get into that in another post). So when he wakes up in the morning, not only is he covered with carpet marks and lint (he sleeps in his pull-ups with no jammies because it's so hot right now), he smells terrible! Let me tell you, old juice is not the greatest smell in the world. And the stain/smell won't come out of the carpet. We've tried. My idea that I want to bring up at OT is the possibility of letting G sleep in a playpen. I got the idea from a wonderful book...Parenting a Child with Sensory Processing Disorder. The playpen gives him a definite space, and lots of blankets and pillows will give him the weight he needs.

Goal for today: do not go insane....have a great time at OT....have fun. Have fun. Have fun. Have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment