Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Welcome to the Nut House

Like the title says, welcome to the nut house. I created this blog for myself (and to help others, but mainly for myself). It will be a daily glimpse into what my husband and I go through while raising a boy with SPD.

What is SPD? SPD aka Sensory Processing Disorder is not a mental disorder but it is a neurological disorder. A great website that outlines SPD is found here.

What do I hope to accomplish with this blog? I have no idea. Venting frustrations? Helping others? Meeting other parents who have kids with SPD? All of the above? Sure, why not?I feel like everyone I talk to about G's issues, they just dismiss it as bad parenting or "maybe he's just a bad kid."

NO HE'S NOT.

G is exceptionally smart. (start brag) He can count to 25 on his own, he knows all of his colors and shapes and directions (end brag) but he doesn't know how to process what happens in the world around him. This causes severe social and behavioral problems. And that is where we are. Trying to figure out a way to get this under control before he starts school (he's 3 so time is running out)

Now, if that wasn't enough for you to process, I'll tell you a little about me and my family in post #2


No comments:

Post a Comment